Mini dragonboat races
CONGRATULATIONS to all of our Mini Dragonboat competitors for some exciting races on Sunday the 3rd of September. We had 96 children registered and competing- WOW!
We are proud to announce the WINNERS:
1st Place GOLD: THE INCREDIBLES with Aidan Goh, Jack Brooks, Isabelle Oulevey, Alexander Oulevey, Margherita Cagnoni and Tomás Mullender
Our Mini Dragonboat competition is a free event, separate from the adult dragonboat races and a great opportunity for children to also paddle for cancer like mum and dad. Our future paddlers will be having fun and learning technique in their own events. The location is L’Abbaye in the same area as the dragonboat races.
In addition, we have many fun activities for children of all ages: canoe rides, face painting, bouncy castle and back by popular demand, Magic Shows, a Crafts Corner and more from Jour de Rêve!! Click here for other Kiddieland activities. These activities are free for our kids but we do appreciate donations!
MINI DRAGONBOATS for children 8-15 years old, or younger if over 1.25m tall
- Entries in advance only.
- Crews of 6 children in a dinghy paddling like a dragonboat.
- Combined ages in one boat: not more than 70 years.
- Minimum height for all competitors is 1.25m. (minimum age restriction waived for children at least 1.25m tall)
- Single children may enter but priority will be given to teams of 6 entering in advance.
- All boats are steered by a competent adult provided by the regatta.
- Racing starts around 10h00 and finishes around 15h00.
- Races will not be rescheduled to accommodate competitors or parents racing in the adult dragonboat event
- Prizes will be presented to the 1st and 2nd place winners.
- Competitors in the Mini Dragonboat races can take canoe trips without further registration.
Mini Dragonboat Entry Forms
Entry forms must be completed by parents for all competitors before racing – parent/guardian must sign for every child. All competitors must be able to swim at least 25m. Non-swimmers are not permitted to compete. Entries for Mini Dragonboat races must be submitted in advance, the sooner the better (before 8 August). Whole crews will be given priority and individual children without a crew will be put into crews by the organisers if places are available. Click the link to download the Race Entry form and instructions. Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions below as you will be asked to accept them before submitting the form. This is a very popular event so entries will be strictly first come, first served until all places are full.
Mini Dragonboat Race Course
Competitors will boat from the area adjacent to the Mini Dragonboat Control Tent and complete a short course in this area near the bank. All boats will have a competent adult helmsperson provided by the regatta.
Mini Dragonboat Rules of Racing
- All competitors must wear the life vest supplied. Clothes may get wet so shorts or swimwear are recommended. Long trousers/jeans are discouraged. Sandals are recommended as children will get wet feet.
- While boating, competitors must obey instructions from the boat marshals and helmspeople.
- When on the water, competitors must obey instructions from regatta officials.
- The judge will decide the winner. The judge’s decision is final.
- In the event of a collision, a race may be restarted.
- Crews must stay within the regatta area and not interfere with the main dragonboat racing
- If a competitor falls out of a boat and is unable to get to the bank easily, he/she should hold on to the boat but not attempt to get back in. Safety boats will always be close by to help.
Terms and Conditions for Mini Dragonboat participants
- Personal accident assurance is mandatory.
- State of health: Competitors must be in good physical condition at the time of the races. Competitors with injuries at boarding time will not be allowed to race. The organisers reserve the right to refuse entry to any competitor they consider unfit to participate.
- Swimming capacity: Competitors must be able to swim at least 25m. Non-swimmers are not allowed to participate.
- Appropriate clothing: Swimwear, polypros, shorts or wetsuits are appropriate. Jeans and long trousers are strongly discouraged as they can hamper swimming/rescue. Sandals recommended.
- Obligatory life vests: Competitors must wear the life vests/life jackets provided by the organisers. Competitors must ensure that the life jacket is securely fastened and obey instructions from organising personnel.
- Claims: Competitors participate at their own personal risk. The organisers, partners, sponsors, supporters and any other person, enterprise or organisation associated with the races and the festival are not liable for any injury, loss, damage or expense suffered or incurred during training, racing and any other form of participation in the Mini Dragonboat competition.
- Photo/video release: Competitors authorise ESCA to use photos/videos in which they feature and renounce any and all claims to compensation.